Discussion Forum

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Additional Features in Formatting

Features of Bold, Underline, are not available now.   It would be of great help if they are added.  Coming to the use of parenthetical- in Scrite parenthetical can be used in a dialogue only once.  In Final Draft multiple parenthetical can be used in a single piece of dialogue.  Adding this feature will be really helpful.  The transitions like CUT TO appear towards the middle of a line when the script is converted to PDF.  If the transitions can be kept the right of the page, the formatting is going to look good.

@darileroi: You can add parenthetical multiple times. Just hit the keyboard combination Ctrl+4 (Cmd+4 on macOS) to switch paragraph format to parenthetical. Take a look at the attached screenshot.

Regarding the transitions not being right aligned in PDF, it was a bug. Perhaps you can try the latest nightly build and verify if that issue has been fixed. (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgDbhAguxhfz5iNVJF7MclsBRx7z?e=ShAYC9)

Bold, Italics & Underline is a pending feature request in our backlog (https://github.com/teriflix/scrite/issues/149). We will implement it in a future update.

Uploaded files:
  • multiple-parenthetical.jpg
darileroi has reacted to this post.
darileroi

Thanks for the reply. Waiting for the Bold, Italics & Underline feature.   I would like to draw your attention to the Title page also. Most often the way credit shared is complex in Bollywood:  Story, Screenplay, Dialogue, Additional Screenplay.  A simple "Written by" is insufficient.     In the case of a Screenplay that I am writing for Hindi film,  Story comes from  me and my co-writer. Screenplay is fully written by me with English dialogues ( An industry term would be scratch dialogue). Then the Hindi dialogue is written by someone else later.  Sometimes depending on the contribution of the dialogue writer Additional Screenplay credit is also awarded. So having these slots on the Title Page would be I believe an added benefit.

@darileroi: Yes, makes sense. Queued it as a ticket. https://github.com/teriflix/scrite/issues/188

darileroi

Extending the conversation further to three more points.   For the reference please have a look at a screenshot from the first page of The Theory of Everything.  Even before the first slugline,  RUN TITLES OVER appears.   I have not found a way to write anything before the slug line in Scrite.  Pieces like RUN TITLES OVER, FADE IN, OVER THE BLACK, etc. are sometimes needed depending on the writer's choice of opening the screenplay. So I believe bringing a feature would help the writer for a flexible approach.

The second point: in the slug line,  INT. EMPIRE ROOM, BUCKINGHAM PALACE - DAY (LATE 1980'S),  the highlighted portion appears after DAY/NIGHT. In Scrite we don't have facility like this. We can indeed indicate the Time Period in the Action part.  But when it appears as a part of slug line, it catches our attention immediately.  For stories that alternates between different time periods this would be really helpful.  This would be helpful also in the case of a multi-track stories happening in different specified geographical settings.  Like in the case of Babel by Alejandro Inaritu,  story happens in Morocco, Mexico, USA, and Tokyo.  So an option to specify these locations in the slug line would be helpful.   Majority of screenplays may not demand these needs. So adding it as  a general option for this alone would be nagging for most writers.  Yet this feature needs to be cleverly incorporated.

Third point: We have an option to designate a scene as Song or Action. Can we add an option of Montage too there ?

Uploaded files:
  • Screen-Shot-2020-11-04-at-9.58.24-PM.png

@darileroi: The way Scrite has been designed is to allow for each scene to be represented as (optional) slug line PLUS a sequence of paragraphs.

Currently many of our other users do something like this to accommodate your specific use case.

1. Create a scene, remove its heading and type RUN OPENING TITLES OVER: as ACTION text.
  2. Create a new scene with slug line and text as usual.

A screenshot is attached for your reference.

Additionally, the core idea behind Scrite is to allow users to "design" their story flow on the structure canvas to capture linear, non-linear, Rashomon and other story structures. Have you checked out the Structure canvas in Scrite yet? Incase you have not, please find a link to a video where this is explained: https://youtu.be/7skB8UKu3qM?t=1763

Regarding Montage option, yes - it makes sense. Its queued up for a future update now: https://github.com/teriflix/scrite/issues/189

Uploaded files:
  • pre-slug-line.jpg
darileroi

Thanks for the reply.   Just getting accustomed to the structure canvas. So far I have been using Scrivener for the development of the story and structure.  Then for the actual screenplay writing a screenplay writing software. Scrite helps to combine both development and actual writing, giving enough flexibility in writing.

TERIFLIX has reacted to this post.
TERIFLIX

I just installed the program and the first thing that struck my attention was the LONG NARROW page and inability to change the view..it's VERY odd when compared to Final Draft and others. In addition, why is there no separation from the title page and the script? Needless to say the lack of a separate title page is far from industry standard. It's a pretty steep learning curve though its extremely fast to operate

@jontalk: We did not set out to build a page-editor with knowledge of the screenplay format. We wanted to try a different approach. While you can edit the title page in Scrite, as you would have already noticed, it wont render the title page as a "page". The title page the first block on the screenplay. What follows it are scene blocks.

This is explained in the video we have just posted in our help section. Please do watch the video when you can.

Help & Support