Discussion Forum

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumDiscussions: Q&ARenaming Characters?
Please to create posts and topics.

Renaming Characters?

I just found this software, and since I'm ready to move from the treatment stage to the first draft of my latest story, I'm excited to use the character relationships tools. Very nice. My only question, is that I can't seem to find a way to rename "Teacher" to "Mr. Salcedo." There is of course the "Aliases" section of his bio, but can I rename the character altogether so that it's reflected in the relationship trees, etc.

I'm also noticing that when I try to write a new scene, I'm given a dropdown menu of the characters I've created, but I can't actually choose them, so it seems I'm "creating" a new character in each scene, perhaps every time the character appears in a new scene?

Quote from thistof on October 11, 2021, 2:40 am

I just found this software, and since I'm ready to move from the treatment stage to the first draft of my latest story, I'm excited to use the character relationships tools. Very nice. My only question, is that I can't seem to find a way to rename "Teacher" to "Mr. Salcedo." There is of course the "Aliases" section of his bio, but can I rename the character altogether so that it's reflected in the relationship trees, etc.

We are yet to implement character rename feature.

The character notes page started off as a a way to capture notes about characters who already have dialogues in the screenplay. Renaming character in the notebook would mean renaming them on all character and action paragraphs as well, which was difficult to accomplish for non-English languages. It has remained a feature in TODO since. But we hope to get to it soon, at least for English screenplays.

Quote from thistof on October 11, 2021, 3:19 am

I'm also noticing that when I try to write a new scene, I'm given a dropdown menu of the characters I've created, but I can't actually choose them, so it seems I'm "creating" a new character in each scene, perhaps every time the character appears in a new scene?

We are unable to reproduce "given a drop down menu of characters in each scene". Can you post a video or screenshot of the issue?

As such you can discard completion menus by hitting Esc key on the keyboard.