Discussion Forum

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Scrited for an existing script

It seems to me it would be very valuable to be able to pace through an existing script getting a clear (if somewhat approximate) idea of the duration of scenes within the overall timeline. It turns out that the Scrited utility does this rather well. But it would be better suited to this task if it were possible to dismiss the redundant (in this scenario) video player.

I haven't found a way to do this. Am I missing something? Or am I suggesting a feature request?

--

Chris

@bidmead: The Scrited tab was put-together for creating synchronized video and screenplay presentations. This feature was put together in response to a feature request placed by another user: Suggestion for Inclusion of Synchronized Movie Player into Scrite Screenplay. As discussed in that Forum thread, we still have ground to cover in this area.

But I guess you can see why video player is an important part of the Scrited tab. Allow me to place links to two blog posts, just so that another user who visits this threads gets more context.

1. ‘Screenplayed’
  2. Assigning Time Offsets For Individual Paragraphs In Scrited Tab
  3. Paramvah Studios Releases Multiple Scrited Videos

But what you suggest is a good feature request. It must be possible for writers to get an approx time-length for each scene.

In a future update, we plan to update the timeline view in Structure tab to actually show time-lengths of each scene. That way we should be able to address your requirement while still keeping Scrited tab more focused on preparing synchronized video & screenplay presentations.

What do you think?

@suryavasishta: Please feel free to chip in.

Thanks, @prashanthudupa. Yes, I totally understand the design goal of Scrited and wasn't suggesting that the video player is redundant in the use case it's intended for.

But Scrited struck me as being also very useful as a tool for examining one's own script. This can be done with Scrited as is. But in this case, the video player obscures a section of screen real estate that could otherwise belong to the text of the screenplay. Being able to toggle the video player on or off would, I believe, greatly expand the utility of this feature without compromising its original intended function.

Showing the duration of each scene in the timeline would, of course, be helpful. But Scrited goes further—attaching a time-tag to each speech and action within a scene. I appreciate that these time-tags will necessarily be approximate. But your Scriters may well find this a handy tool when cutting and shaping a scene. As I have.

A fork is a useful instrument designed to convey food from the plate to the mouth. The discovery that it also comes in handy for beating eggs to make an omelette in no way demeans its original purpose. (There is a metaphor buried in here about readiness to recognise a happy accident in the shaping of your story but I've already gone on long enough.)

--

Chris

@prashanthudupa: From what I know and have discussed with you, a way of approximating a scene time from text to spoken dialogue is already in the pipeline, isn't it? Albeit it's not similar to what happens in Scrited, I think once a basic version of what's in the pipeline is ready, we could look at a feature where we marry the planned approximation tool and the existing Scrited feature. Certainly handy, but at the moment I feel it is a 'great to have' tool and not a 'necessary' tool.

Of course, it will fast change to a 'necessary' tool if more and more users think it is useful and necessary to have this and start requesting this 🙂

Like @bidmead has interestingly pointed out, we already have a very good fork that is delivering food to the mouth, and we could potentially use it to beat eggs too.

@bidmead: Yes, makes sense.

For the moment though you can keep the open bracket key '(' pressed to reduce the height of the video. It reduces the height of the video player one pixel at a time, but if you hold it long enough the video panel disappears completely. This has to be done each time you switch to the Scrited tab or open a document. From the point of view of the feature you are looking for, this is a pain to use. But in a future update we can provide a simple toggle button to turn off the video area entirely.

Uploaded files:
  • scrited-without-video.jpg
Quote from suryavasishta on June 23, 2021, 2:37 pm

@prashanthudupa: From what I know and have discussed with you, a way of approximating a scene time from text to spoken dialogue is already in the pipeline, isn't it? Albeit it's not similar to what happens in Scrited, I think once a basic version of what's in the pipeline is ready, we could look at a feature where we marry the planned approximation tool and the existing Scrited feature. Certainly handy, but at the moment I feel it is a 'great to have' tool and not a 'necessary' tool.

Of course, it will fast change to a 'necessary' tool if more and more users think it is useful and necessary to have this and start requesting this 🙂

Like @bidmead has interestingly pointed out, we already have a very good fork that is delivering food to the mouth, and we could potentially use it to beat eggs too.

@suryavasishta: The planned speech-to-text-method of approximating sync times will kick in only when the video is loaded. I think what @bidmead is asking for is a way to simply turn off the video area all together so that one can gather a rough sense of the pacing with what's already in Scrited tab.

Having said that, Chris and many other early adopters of Scrite have posted on this form and via emails (you and I have discussed this a few times), that there is a need for a time-scale that lets writers measure time lengths. Scene time, dialogue time, act time, story thread time etc. I guess we can get to it right after we are done with all the updates to the notebook tab we are occupied with right now.

I think what @bidmead is asking for is a way to simply turn off the video area all together so that one can gather a rough sense of the pacing with what's already in Scrited tab.

Yes, that's right @prashanthudupa.

One other thing strikes me, while we're on the subject. At some time in the future we'll want to be able to say: "Hey, they greenlighted that script I scrited". To "scrite" will hopefully become a verb with "scrited" as the past tense. Check this with your marketing department, of course, but it seems clear to me that the function we're discussing here should really be written (and pronounced) as "ScriteEd".

--

Chris

@bidmead: I would surely love to see that future where "scrited" has become a verb!!

ScriteEd ~= Screenplayed

Scrited = A script I wrote with Scrite

This surely warrants thinking and a closer consideration. Thanks 👍🏻

@bidmead: From the next version of Scrite, you will notice a close button on the top right corner of the video player area. This will allow you to close the video player all together. (Ref close_player_button.png)

When closed, you will get another icon on the top right of the text-scroll-area, which you can click to pull the video player out. (Ref open_player_button.png)

I guess with this, you should now be able to look at the text scroll and heading/dialogue timings next to each other. (Ref: scrited_tab_with_player_closed.png)

I will update this thread as soon as we have a nightly build published. Perhaps you can check it out and comment your feedback here?

Uploaded files:
  • close_player_button.png
  • open_player_button.png
  • scrited_tab_with_player_closed.png

@prashanthudupa: Just a suggestion: Maybe an upward arrow would work for the 'Hide Player' feature complementing the downward arrow of the 'Show Player'. The tool tip would get reworded appropriately too, if so. What do you think?